During warm weather, there’s nothing quite as nice as sitting on your outdoor patio cushions and having a morning cup of coffee or enjoying a delicious dinner with family and friends.
With the right chair cushions for patio furniture, you can increase your enjoyment of the great outdoors and add elegance to your patio, deck or pool area. You can select from a wide variety of available options, materials, colors and styles that will provide long-lasting enjoyment. Focus on the following questions to help find the right items for your outdoor environment:
- How often and at what times of day do you use your patio furniture cushions?
- What items of furniture are you looking for?
- How much sun does your patio furniture and cushions typically receive?
- What materials provide the right combination of style and durability?
- What do you need to do to maintain your patio furniture chair cushions appearance?
Types, Materials and Sun Exposure
From simple plastic outdoor patio cushion to elaborate cushions for patio furniture, you can find almost any type of patio seat cushions for your patio. Depending on how frequently you utilize outdoor areas, you’ll want to consider comfort, durability and style. If you live in a climate that does not allow year-round use, you’ll probably have to store cushions for the winter months, so keep available storage space in mind when deciding on the number and size of patio chair cushions. While one of the best parts about being outside is enjoying the sun, too much of a good thing can quickly become uncomfortable. Consider adding an umbrella or awning to make your patio a more enjoyable place.
Types of Cushions: There are nearly as many types of patio furniture cushions
available for use on your patio as there are for your living room. Cushions come in a wide range of sizes, materials and colors. Loveseats and benches provide extra seating while swings and hammocks offer style and comfort. Depending on which materials you choose and how large each furniture piece is, costs can range from economical to extravagant. It’s a good idea to purchase cushions based on how often you use your patio furniture. If you only use the area occasionally, a few basic items will suffice. If you entertain frequently or spend a considerable amount of time outdoors, shop for comfort and durability.
- Cushions with springs and softer fabrics provide greater comfort
- Ottomans provide a leisurely, relaxed feel in outdoor seating areas
- Storage chests, coffee tables and end tables add style and utility
Sunlight: While the sun provides warmth and light and is often an indicator of a beautiful day, it can also bring uncomfortable heat levels that make staying outdoors unpleasant. Constant exposure to the sun’s rays can cause patio furniture cushions to fade and lose their luster. If your patio or deck has direct exposure to the sun, you may want to consider adding an umbrella or awning to protect seating areas and create a more comfortable environment. Umbrellas and awnings provide protection from the sun and soften harsh light. They can even reduce temperatures for increased comfort.
- Table umbrellas can make dining outdoors more enjoyable
- Stand-alone umbrellas can be moved to various locations as needed
- Market umbrellas provide coverage over a large area
- Retractable awnings provide shade when desired and roll away at other times
- Choose mesh materials to filter sun while still allowing air to flow in and out